Monday, February 25, 2008

Jamaica - Serving a divorce petition

Jamaica Gleaner - Mcgregor

One reader, who has been married for four years and separated from her husband for two years, wants to get a divorce. She is a British citizen, who has been living in Jamaica for 22 years. Her husband lives in the United States, but she has no knowledge of his actual whereabouts. She has an address for her husband's sister. What can she do?

The reader is entitled to file a petition in the Jamaican court to obtain a decree nisi, although she is a British citizen. The fact that she has been residing in Jamaica for 22 years means that the Jamaican court has jurisdiction to hear her petition as she is someone who has been ordinarily resident in Jamaica for at least 12 months immediately preceding the date on which the petition was filed.

Read the rest of the story:
Serving a divorce petition


No comments:

Post a Comment